Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Mold VS Mildew
Mold and mildew are definitely fungus brothers, but they do have a few striking differences. Learn more about the ins and outs of the two with this guide.
Like two siblings who have similar features, mold and mildew have a few matching characteristics: Both are keen on moist, warm areas where they might sprout their homes. They can also each grow on a multitude of surfaces, from food to your shower to a sheet of paper. And, of course, they are both two types of fungi that no homeowner likes to see in his or her home.
But mold and mildew also have striking differences when it comes to size, color and texture.
Mildew is a surface fungi that can easily be identified as a patch of gray or even white fungus that is lying on the surface of a moist area. Mildew is easily treated with a store bought cleaner and a scrubbing brush.
Mold, on the other hand, can be black or green and is often the result of a much larger infestation. This type of fungus can appear almost "fuzzy" — especially when it is found on food — or even slimy in nature.
MOISTURE AND MOLD PREVENTION AND CONTROL TIPS
Moisture and Mold Prevention and Control Tips
Moisture Control is the Key to Mold Control
- When water leaks or spills occur indoors - act quickly. If wet or damp materials or areas are dried 24-48 hours after a leak or spill happens, in most cases mold will not grow.
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly.
- Make sure the ground slopes away from the building foundation, so that water does not enter or collect around the foundation.
- Keep air conditioning drip pans clean and the drain lines unobstructed and flowing properly.
- Keep indoor humidity low. If possible, keep indoor humidity below 60 percent (ideally between 30 and 50 percent) relative humidity. Relative humidity can be measured with a moisture or humidity meter, a small, inexpensive ($10-$50) instrument available at many hardware stores.
- If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls or pipes act quickly to dry the wet surface and reduce the moisture/water source. Condensation can be a sign of high humidity.
Actions that will help to reduce humidity
- Vent appliances that produce moisture, such as clothes dryers, stoves, and kerosene heaters to the outside where possible. (Combustion appliances such as stoves and kerosene heaters produce water vapor and will increase the humidity unless vented to the outside.)
- Use air conditioners and/or de-humidifiers when needed.
- Run the bathroom fan or open the window when showering. Use exhaust fans or open windows whenever cooking, running the dishwasher or dishwashing, etc.
Actions that will help prevent condensation:
- Reduce the humidity (see preceeding page)
- Increase ventilation or air movement by opening doors and/or windows, when practical. Use fans as needed.
- Cover cold surfaces, such as cold water pipes, with insulation.
- Increase air temperature.
Health risks associated with mold
What kinds of health risks may be linked to mold? What are symptoms and signs of mold allergy?
As a SERVPRO cleaning professional, I have seen firsthand the potential health risks that can be linked to mold exposure. Mold can produce irritating substances that act as allergens and cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Additionally, some molds can produce toxic substances known as mycotoxins.
The most common health effect of mold exposure is an allergic reaction, which can occur immediately or over time. Both growing mold and mold spores can lead to allergic reactions. Symptoms of mold allergy can vary from person to person but often include sneezing, runny nose, coughing, wheezing, watery eyes, redness of the eyes, itchy eyes, and skin irritation or rash.
It's essential to recognize the potential health risks associated with mold and take appropriate precautions to prevent and mitigate exposure. If you suspect that mold may be present in your home or business, it's crucial to consult with a professional remediation company like SERVPRO to assess the situation and determine the appropriate course of action.
Remember, mold can be a serious health risk, and it's essential to take it seriously. As a SERVPRO cleaning professional, I am committed to helping our customers maintain a safe and healthy environment in their homes and businesses.
Facts about mold and mold allergies
Mold Damage Tips
In as little as 48 hours, mold can quickly become a problem in your home or business when there’s a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line. Mold can cause health effects and can also cause significant damage to your property. SERVPRO of Southern Scioto & Lawrence Counties Professionals have the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem.
Have a Mold Problem? Call Today 1-740-534-9210
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact a SERVPRO of Southern Scioto & Lawrence Counties for mold remediation services.
What NOT to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Does Your Southern Scioto & Lawrence Counties Home Have A Mold Problem?
In Southern Scioto & Lawrence counties, mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 740-534-9210