Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
If you're dealing with water damage, safety should be your top priority. Make sure the area is safe to be in and be cautious of heavy and wet materials. If you need help dealing with water damage, call the professionals at SERVPRO of Southern Scioto & Lawrence Counties at 740-534-9210.
After a flood, there are several things you can do to minimize damage. Start by removing excess water, wiping down furniture, and propping up upholstery and cushions. Use aluminum foil or wood blocks to protect furniture legs and turn on the air conditioning to speed up drying. Remove any art objects or loose items from the affected area.
There are also several things you should NOT do after flooding. Don't leave wet fabrics in place, and avoid leaving colored items on wet floors or carpets. Don't use your household vacuum to remove water and avoid using appliances like televisions. Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet, and stay out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Remember, when it comes to water damage, time is of the essence. SERVPRO of Southern Scioto & Lawrence Counties is available 24/7 and can help you tackle any size disaster quickly and effectively.
Faster to Any Size Disaster
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (740) 534-9210
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.